PLUS How to Get Your Life Back by Prospecting on LinkedIn
First of all, let’s be fair… Cold calling used to work. I made cold calls back in the day and most of you probably did, too.
What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the words ‘cold calling’?
Getting no where fast…
Disconnected by reception … again!
I felt that way too, and was relieved to finally stop cold calling after I discovered a better way to fill my sales pipeline. I learned that the best way to maximize my time was to build a relationship with the decision maker! And one way to get in direct contact with a decision maker is through LinkedIn.
In case there was any doubt…
- Cold calling doesn’t work 90.9% of the time. (Source: Harvard Business Review)
- Less than 2% of cold calls actually result in a meeting being scheduled. (Source: Hubspot)
- Cold calling costs 60% more per lead than other, more effective methods like email marketing, social selling, and warm leads. (Source: Hubspot)
Is calling a prospect dead?
No… Phone conversations are not dying! Cold calling is.
4 reasons why cold calling is not worth your time:
- Poor Conversation Engagement
Only 28% of those cold called engage in conversations. (Source: Keller Research Center)
- No Responses
Around 9 out of 10 of top-level B2B decision-makers simply do not respond to cold outreach anymore. (Source: Kevin Scott, head of LinkedIn Sales)
- Social Media Impacts the Decision Making Process
75% of B2B leaders say that they regularly use social media in their decision making process. (Source: Kevin Scott, head of LinkedIn Sales)
- Personal Connections
Sales people are 4.2 times more likely to gain an appointment if they already have a personal connection with the buyer. (Source: Sales for Life)
BONUS: How to get your life back by prospecting on LinkedIn!
If you’re selling a B2B product or service and want your life back, here’s why you should create and build relationships with prospects on LinkedIn.
“LinkedIn is the number one social media platform for business professionals. It is 277% more effective for lead generation compared to Twitter or Facebook.”
Kenesis published an article with solid advice on how to be the most effective on LinkedIn.
- Optimize your profile
- Identify prospects
- Do your homework
- Connect with your prospects
- Establish yourself as an expert, and
- Move connections to the real world (meaning get on the phone and talk with your interested prospects!)
We’ve also found it helps to:
- Create A LinkedIn Marketing Plan
Including identifying your demographic.
Join groups that your prospect can be found in and engage with them (this does not mean hard sales).
- Consistently reach out to your core prospects by sending them a customized and personalized LinkedIn connection message.
- Send a timely personalized ‘thank you for connecting with me’ message.
- Post articles on your profile from highly credible sources consistently.
- Create and post original articles to help build your credibility and show your expertise.
You can hire someone to write these for you and some companies already create them.
- Recognize your connections birthdays, anniversaries and new positions by sending them a quick message.
- Always keep track of what you’re doing.
Track your leads (and their contact information).
And, as you’re engaging don’t forget the 80 / 20 rule…
LinkedIn engagement should always follow the 80 / 20 rule…80% education with only 20% sales pitch.
Your main goal is to create long-lasting relationships on LinkedIn with your perfect prospects and move them into real world engagement to close. The benefit will be getting your life back in terms of finances and time!
We’re passionate about showing entrepreneurs and sales professionals like you how to attract predictable leads, clients, and revenue and fill your sales pipeline to the MAX with willing decision makers using LinkedIn lead generation. Click here to find out more!